Demand from students wanting to study in Stellenbosch has resulted in the growth of the IMM Graduate School in this historic Winelands town. A new campus will open its doors on 4 January 2021.GLENDA NEVILL reports.
The IMM Graduate School has had a presence in Stellenbosch for many years, but increased demand from students wanting to study in the historic town has resulted in the need for a larger campus.
The new campus will allow the IMM Graduate School to grow its numbers in Stellenbosch by a third, says Irene Gregory, the IMM Graduate School’s National Head: Student Support Centres.
The new campus will replace the current Student Support Centre, and can house 750 students, with a maximum of 320 on site at any one time.
“There has been an IMM Graduate School Student Support Centre in Stellenbosch for many years, however the increase in registrations from students wanting to study in Stellenbosch has resulted in the need for a larger campus,” says Gregory.
In researching whether a brand new campus was feasible in Stellenbosch, Gregory says studying in the scenic town is a dream for many school-leavers, who “long to be part of the vibey student life with its sidewalk cafés and cultural heritage”.
“The oak-lined student town of Stellenbosch, located in the heart of the beautiful Cape Winelands, is always bustling with young adults seeking this vibrant lifestyle,” Gregory says.
The campus will be located in a brand new building which is under development in Bosman’s Crossing, Distillery Road. The building is close to the beautiful and famous Eersterivier in the shadow of the Onder-Papegaaiberg, which is only a five minute drive from the centre of town.
Gregory says management of the IMM Graduate School looked into various locations during 2019 and opted for the Bosman Business Centre at the beginning of 2020.
She lists the elements comprising the new campus:
- The campus will offer beautiful areas for students to relax, including a large deck with the most exquisite views of the surrounding mountains and Stellenbosch town
- There will be eight light and spacious studios, able to accommodate between 20 and 120 students
- A beautiful Information Centre, equipped with all prescribed books and computers hosting a huge bank of resource materials
- Free wi-fi for students available throughout the campus
- Administrative offices with student consulting rooms
- Café courtyard at the entrance to the campus
- Secure parking for vehicles and bicycles
Daytime tutorials will be offered for these qualifications:
- Higher Certificate in Marketing
- BBA in Marketing Management
- BCom in Marketing and Management Science
- BCom in International Supply Chain Management
- BPhil Honours in Marketing Management
- BCom Honours in Supply Chain Management
“The Stellenbosch campus will be manned by seven full time staff and a team of industry experts contracted to offer tuition to the students,” says Gregory. “The campus is supported by a strong faculty at national office level, as well as departments which take care of student support, academic administration, and a technical team.”
The campus opening event will be held on 30 January 2021 and the first intake of students will start on 1 March 2021.
Subscribe to stay informed whenever a new issue is published