Admission Criteria for Masters
Admission Criteria for Master of Philosophy (MPhil) in Marketing
A student who is in possession of the following may apply for admission:
- BCom Honours with Marketing and Research Methodology on the NQF Level 8 (HEQSF aligned); or
- BPhil Honours with Marketing and Research Methodology on the NQF Level 8 (HEQSF aligned); or
- BA Honours in Marketing Communications with Marketing and Marketing Communications as majors on the NQF Level 8 (HEQSF aligned).
- Any other equivalent qualifications.
- An overall average of 65% must have been achieved on the NQF level 8 qualification.
- A result of at least 65% must have been achieved for the research project on the NQF level 8 qualification.
- A CV and motivational letter are required.
- In addition, students are required to submit a provisional research proposal with their applications for admission for evaluation by the admissions panel.
- The Dean also has the right to prescribe any additional modules on honours level to ensure that the candidate complies with all requirements.
* No credit transfers for modules will apply for RPL. RPL will only apply for access to programmes
The core intention of a Master’s Programme, as is the purpose of the IMM Graduate School Master’s, is to equip students with specialised knowledge through research training and to provide sound training in research methodologies. Candidates are not generally expected to make an original theoretical or fundamental contribution to their field of knowledge, but through the provision of new data or information, they should make a definitive contribution to understanding the research problem that has been investigated and to demonstrate proficiency in research methods and the ability to work independently. Master’s graduates are expected to exhibit mastery of research methodology and evidence of understanding scholarly processes at work, and manifest this knowledge through the completion of a novel project.